Slow Cooker Moroccan Chickpea StewYUMMLY
Slow Cooker Moroccan Chickpea Stew
A complex blend of spices and plenty of vegetables go into this hearty stew, which can be vegan if you opt for vegetable broth instead of chicken broth and olive oil instead of butter. If it's available, you can substitute 2 1/2 tablespoons of ras el hanout (a Moroccan spice blend) for all of the spices listed in the recipe. Harissa, a sweet and spicy chili-based hot sauce from North Africa, adds an extra layer of flavor; some brands are much hotter than others, so start with the lower amount and then add more if you'd like it spicier. The recipe is a Yummly original created by Jennifer Clair.
- Dice the onion. Finely mince the ginger. Mince the garlic. Peel the sweet potato and turnip, and cut into 1-inch pieces. Core the fennel and cut into 1/2-inch pieces. Cut the apricots into quarters.
- Heat the butter in a large Dutch oven or saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the onion, ginger, and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until onions are translucent, about 4 minutes. Add the salt, coriander, cumin, paprika, turmeric, and cinnamon stick. Cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Transfer the spiced onion mixture to a 4- or 6-qt. slow cooker. Stir in the sweet potato, turnip, fennel, apricots, tomatoes, broth, chickpeas, and harissa.
- Cook, covered, on high until vegetables are tender and cooked through, about 4 hours.
- Chop the cilantro. Taste the stew and stir in the lemon juice and more salt if desired. Discard the cinnamon stick. Ladle the stew into bowls, scatter cilantro on top, and serve with couscous.
Unlock full nutritional details with subscription
|Calories230Calories from Fat50|
|% DAILY VALUE|
|Calories from Fat50|
|% DAILY VALUE|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.