Creamy au gratin potatoes are made even heartier with the addition of seasoned ground beef.
- nonstick cooking spray (for baking dish)
- 2 lb. yukon gold (sliced 1/8-inch thick, 2 lb. is 5-6 medium potatoes)
- salt (to taste, for potatoes)
- black pepper (to taste, for potatoes)
- nonstick cooking spray (for beef)
- 1 1/2 lb. lean ground beef
- 1/2 onion (small, finely diced)
- 1 clove garlic (minced)
- 1/2 tsp. dried thyme
- 1 tsp. salt (for beef)
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper (for beef)
- 1/4 cup butter
- 6 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 3 cups half and half
- 1 tsp. salt (for sauce)
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper (for sauce)
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- salt (to taste, for top layer)
- black pepper (to taste, for top layer)
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Spray a 9x13-inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. Arrange half the potato slices in the bottom of the dish and season them liberally with salt and black pepper.
- Spray a large saucepan with nonstick cooking spray and set it over medium-high heat. Add the beef and diced onion. Saute, breaking up the meat with a rubber spatula as it cooks, until it is browned and the onion is softened, 7-8 minutes. Add the minced garlic, thyme, salt, and black pepper. Continue cooking until the garlic is fragrant, about 1 minute.
Unlock full nutritional details with subscription
|Calories300Calories from Fat150|
|% DAILY VALUE|
|Calories from Fat150|
|% DAILY VALUE|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
Jot it down
Subscribe to Yummly to add notes