Hearty Sweet Potato, Lentil, and Black Bean Chili
This tasty and gently spicy vegan chili is not only easy to make, it's also freezer-friendly. (You can freeze leftovers up to three months.) For a thicker chili, mash some of the beans or sweet potatoes with a fork or potato masher. The recipe, which makes 12 cups, is a Yummly original created by Ashley Strickland-Freeman.
- Rinse lentils in a strainer and sort through them, removing any stones. Add black beans, rinse, and drain. Roughly chop tomatoes in the can with kitchen shears.
- Heat olive oil in a Dutch oven or other 5- to 6-qt. pot over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender and light golden, about 5 minutes. Stir in chili powder, cumin, and paprika and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add sweet potatoes, lentils and black beans, vegetable broth, crushed tomatoes, chopped canned tomatoes and juice, salt, and pepper to Dutch oven. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, stirring occasionally, until lentils and sweet potatoes are tender, 20-25 minutes.
- Cut green onions into 3-inch lengths, then sliver lengthwise (or just slice them crosswise). Ladle chili into bowls. Top with sour cream and green onions.
Unlock full nutritional details with subscription
|Calories380Calories from Fat25|
|% DAILY VALUE|
|Calories from Fat25|
|% DAILY VALUE|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.