®/™©2023 Yummly. All rights reserved.
Oven-Baked Classic Grilled Cheese Sandwiches
Making grilled cheese en mass in the oven means no one has to stand over the stove cooking one or two sandwiches at a time. The secret for great results is to cook them between a pair of sheet pans, and preheat the top one to add weight and another surface for crisping the bread. This also means there’s no need to flip the sandwiches mid-bake. The recipe calls for traditional butter to spread on the outsides of the bread, but mayonnaise also yields the desirably crispy crusts. Tomato soup on the side? Definitely recommended. The recipe is a Yummly original created by Ashley Strickland Freeman.
- Position a rack in the bottom of the oven, set a sheet pan on top, and preheat the oven to 450°.
- Spread 6 slices of bread with half of the butter and place, buttered sides down, on a second sheet pan.
- Top each bread slice with 2 slices of cheese. Top with the remaining bread slices and spread the tops with the remaining butter.
- Carefully remove the hot sheet pan from the oven and place it on top of the sandwiches, rimmed edges up.
- Place the stacked baking sheets in the oven on the bottom rack. Bake until the cheese is melted and the bread is golden brown and crispy, 10-12 minutes. Refrigerate any leftovers up to 2 days and reheat in a regular oven or toaster oven at 325° for 5-10 minutes.
Unlock full nutritional details with subscription
|Calories490Calories from Fat320|
|% DAILY VALUE|
|Calories from Fat320|
|% DAILY VALUE|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.