Dense, silky, and not too rich, this sweet potato pie sings with generous spices and vanilla. The prep time is quick since you boil the sweet potatoes instead of baking them, and use a store-brought refrigerated crust. Be sure to go with deep orange-fleshed sweet potatoes (also known as yams) for the most vibrant color. The recipe is a Yummly original created by Dude That Cookz.
- 3 sweet potatoes (1 1/4 lb. total, also called yams; buy ones with deep orange color)
- pie pastry
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar (packed)
- 1/4 cup evaporated milk (or half-and-half)
- 1 Tbsp. vanilla extract
- 3 large eggs
- 3 Tbsp. salted butter (melted)
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon (plus a little more for serving)
- 1 tsp. ground nutmeg
- sweetened whipped cream
- Bring a large covered saucepan of water to a boil over high heat. Peel sweet potatoes and cut into 2-inch chunks. Add sweet potatoes to boiling water and return to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, until sweet potatoes are very tender when pierced with a fork, about 30 minutes. Drain sweet potatoes and add to a large bowl.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350°F.
- Unroll pastry and place in an ungreased 9-inch pie pan. Press pastry against bottom and sides of pan. Fold any excess dough around the top edge in towards the pan. If you like, pinch top of crust a little with your fingers to flute. Set pastry aside.
Unlock full nutritional details with subscription
|Calories380Calories from Fat140|
|% DAILY VALUE|
|Calories from Fat140|
|% DAILY VALUE|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
Jot it down
Subscribe to Yummly to add notes